08 May Downsizing Tips for Seniors
If only your walls could talk, they would recount all of the amazing hours spent raising a family, dinners with friends, playing with grandchildren. For many of our senior clients who are looking to downsize, the biggest hurdle they face is leaving a home where so many precious memories were made. From holidays to family dinners, our homes share in our daily routines and they often reflect who we are through our personal touches, such as family photos, precious heirlooms and pieces of furniture. While these memories might be important to you as an owner, they can often create a headache when you are ready to sell your house.
The fact is that in today’s market buyers are looking for a home that does not contain clutter and has the bare minimum in furnishings. Buyers want that picture-perfect look which often does not match the reality of living in a house for 20 plus years. The first step to selling your house is to declutter and stage it and this can be a daunting task for anyone, let alone a senior who is looking to downsize.
What does it mean to declutter and stage your house to put it on the market?
A quick google search will return a ton of ideas for any seller, and no matter which link you click on they all have the following five tips in common:
- Work on your curb appeal. From sidewalks to landscaping, you need your house to stand out against the competition.
- De-clutter – remove all personal items from the walls (just leave a few touches), empty your shelves, clean up your closets, in some cases, you might even need to store your items off-site in a rental unit.
- Clean your house thoroughly from top to bottom. Consider refinishing the hardwood and professionally cleaning your carpets. This is especially important in households with pets.
- Paint your walls so that the colors are neutral and inviting. You want the buyer to be able to imagine all of their belongings inside of your home.
- Stage your house with clean and neutral furniture. This could include hiring an outside firm for thousands to create the perfect look, or rearranging your own furniture to make the rooms appear larger.
While this process is more likely to sell your house quickly, it also comes with a lot of time, labor, and financial cost. For many seniors, this might not be something that is even physically possible, let alone financially feasible. That’s why at Core Properties we are proud to offer an alternative. We will buy your house as-is for cash. There are numerous benefits to choosing to take this route, but an obvious one is that you do not have to de-clutter, stage, re-paint or do a single thing to your house. Choosing to work with Core Properties saves you time and money and allows you to undergo a swift transition in what can be a difficult and emotional time in your life as you embark on the next chapter.